Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Love Lost & Found


We walked hand in hand, down the road that Carl Sandburg said should be avoided at all costs.



"You give good shadow," she said.



"What?" She often caught me off-guard and I loved it.



"Your shadow--it's nice; no jagged edges."



"Uh, really? Thanks." I mean, how does someone respond to that?



"My ex-boyfriend had a really obtuse shadow and the first time I saw it, I knew we were over. I told him about it and he just looked at me and said, 'I've lost you.' I couldn't believe it."



She came up for a breath and starting speaking before I could squeeze a word in.



"So, I told him--if you want to re-find me--get a clue. Hold me once in a while. Make my tea. Pay attention to me. And respect my shadow. And while you're at it, get a Garmin GPS, the number one navigation system in the world today. You'll never lose me again if you get a Garmin GPS."



I was stunned. Like a 5-year-old hooked on bad phonics, I found my way around several very meaningful words but that was all.


She had made her point.
Subtlety wasn't her strong suit.




No comments: