Friday, July 07, 2006

Mickey Joseph is a Talent!


I have a good friend who is a consummate performer and entertainer and his name is Mickey Joseph. He currently resides in San Carlos and is raising two wild teenagers, so he has his hands full, to say the least. I first met Mickey in 1987 at a comedy open mic in Palo Alto at a place called Emerson's Bar & Grill. It was a hellhole for young upcoming comics back then, because people would go there just to heckle and hassle the comedians on stage. One night when I was emceeing the show, a young balding guy walked up to me and asked if I would take a minute to listen to some of his act. We went out on the back patio at Emerson's and he did his act for me in the dark. I was amazed. It was incredible. He did impressions, his physcial stuff was outstanding, his timing was on the money -- I was very impressed to say the least. So, I wasn't real surpirsed when I heard shortly thereafter that the guy was headlining all over the country. Mickey is an "old school" comedian, a throwback from the days of borscht belt comics and vaudeville performers. His imitation of Sergeant Bilko is so right on it's eerie! He's also a great person when it comes to supporting other young comedians on their way up. I began writing jokes for Mickey, and soon we became really good friends. He's helped me with my act and 2.5 years ago he introduced me to my lovely girlfriend (who will hopefully be my fiancee before this day is over.) Mickey currently stars in the incredible tribute to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Junior and Joey Bishop that is playing to rave reviews all over the country. It was here in SF for quite a while at the Post Street Theater and should be coming back. Mick plays Joey Bishop and he does a really impressive job. He plays Joey his way and it works. In the business they'd say he has made the part his own. (By the way, Jeff Applebaum, another really funny comic and a friend of mine plays Joey Bishop in the show too -- he and Mickey cover for each other and do it in different cities). Mickey and I have also co-produced a series of shows at the Lil Fox Theater in Redwood City. "The Mickey Joseph Show" is a variety show with comics, music, magic and more. I also helped edit Mickey's autobiography, "What Would Do Corleone Do?", which is a really fun read and offers a glimpse into the man's hilarious boyhood and his ascent to success in comedy, music, writing and acting. For more on Mickey Joseph, check out his web site at: www.mickeyjoseph.com.
He's a great talent and you'll see him on TV one day, there's no doubt.

No comments: