Saturday, April 17, 2010

1300 Fillmore: Gospel & Grits


In my life, I’ve brunched. Yes, I have brunched many times in many cities over many years. I have eaten nearly my weight in just brunches alone. Back in the day, I was asked to leave a brunch because I ate my way right through into Monday. Sundays are all about three things for me—church, brunch & the NFL, in that particular order. If I can talk to the Big Man, eat some great Eggs Benedict and watch my team win on the gridiron, I am a happy man and my Sunday is complete. My needs are specific, but they’re simple.

The Sunday Gospel Brunch at 1300 Fillmore is like church meets a brunch. It’s a religious experience with amazing food, an incredible gospel band called the “Future Perfect Band” and featuring a fun, upbeat almost church-like environment featuring moving songs and music that will make your soul soar.

1300 on Fillmore is a restaurant and lounge that draws on the rich cultural history of San Francisco’s Fillmore Jazz District. The restaurant features “Soulful American” cuisine, accompanied by a list of the finest California Wines.

1300 Fillmore’s Sunday Gospel Brunch is a very popular event. You should call well in advance or you’ll be standing outside the door. They have two seatings every Sunday, at 11 am and 1 pm. When we walked in there last Sunday, the place was moving and there was electricity in the air. It was packed and everyone was smiling and singing along. How often do you see that?

From 1300 Fillmore’s brunch menu, we had the BBQ Shrimp N’ Creamy Grits ($14); the Cinnamon Bricohe French Toast with balsamic roasted strawberries with a French vanilla-bean cream ($12); Spicy Tasso Cajun Ham and Eggs Benedict with buttermilk chive biscuits and Tabasco Hollandaise ($12); and the Black Skillet Fried Chicken with buttermilk whipped potatoes and pan gravy ($18).

Everything is prepared to order, so you won’t encounter that “not-so-freshness” issue that sometimes occurs on buffet brunch setups. It’s straightforward comfort food that’s fresh and not over loaded with cream, butter or anything else that might travel directly to our athletic thighs. The French Toast is exceptional and unique. 1300 Fillmore’s grits are amazing. I am a grits lover and these are creamy, rich and not soupy, with the perfect amount of butter and just a hint of salt. These are perfect grits.

Chef David Lawrence and his wife Monetta White run the show and it’s a great one, especially on Sundays. Check out the Gospel Brunch at 1300 Fillmore and get inspired by a great meal and an inspiring band you won’t soon forget.
1300 Fillmore
1300 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 771-7100
www.1300fillmore.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you made my mouth water! Definitely going to have to try it the next time I'm in SF on a Sunday morning! Actually, scratch that, I'll make it a point to be in SF on a Sunday morning FOR it :-)