Sunday, March 01, 2009

Whining to Coppola


I had a dream last night that I was talking to Francis Ford Coppola at this winery in Napa.
He wanted to talk wines and I wanted to talk movies. And it was really annoying.
"Francis, tell me about your trials and tribulations trying to work with Marlon Brando on the chaotic set of Apocalypse Now."
All he wanted to talk about was the oakiness of his Merlot.
"Please, Mr. Coppola, I'd love to hear about your experiences shooting The Godfather, my 2nd favorite movie of all time." (My favorite movie is actually One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but I would never be so rude as to tell Francis that. It would be rude and boorish.)
All he wanted to discuss was the dark cherry flavors found in his Cabernet.
"Was it fun working with Gene Hackman in The Conversation?"
All Coppola wanted to chat about was the fruit forward quality of his Pinot.
I left there feeling very confused and alone. So many questions unanswered.
I need to know more about wine, I thought--so, that I can get this man to talk to me about his movies.
First thing on my agenda: Join a wine of the month club.

No comments: